Cardiology & Vascular Services
The treatment of heart disease is an area of high spending and activity, and a number of services work together to provide complex models of care in hospital and the community.
We have recently upgraded the cardiac services in KHUH, into a special unite equipped with the latest modern cardiac equipment's has been set up.
Experienced cardiologists, cardiac technician and cardiac nurses will take care about you.
Scope Of Services
- Out-patient services:
OPD clinic The Cardiology Clinic is open daily from 08:00 to 15:30 hrsn Cardiac Lab, Transthoracic echo (TTE), Holter registration (ambulatory BP monitoring), open daily from 08:00 to 14:00 hrs
- In-patient services:
- Management of acute and chronic cardiac cases
- Cardiac and vascular consultation
- Cardiac Laboratory – Echocardiography (ECG), treadmill stress test, 24hrs Holter monitoring, Dobutamine stress test, 24 hrs BP monitoring and Transesophagial echo (TEE))
- Temporary pacemakers
- Electrical Cardioversion
Cardiac rehabilitation (rehab):-
Medically supervised program that helps improve the health and well-being of people who have heart problems. Rehab programs include exercise training, education on heart healthy living, and counseling to reduce stress and help you return to an active life.
Cardiac rehab helps people who have heart problems:
- Recover after a heart attack or heart surgery
- Prevent future hospital stays, heart problems, and death related to heart problems.
- Address risk factors that lead to coronary heart disease and other heart problems.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes. These changes may include a heart healthy diet, increased physical activity, and learning how to manage stress. Improve their health and quality of life.
- Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
Our unit consists of 6 beds. We serve the accident and emergency department, cardiology and medical wards. We also are a tertiary referral centre receiving patients from across the whole Muharraq Governorate.
Our patients require a stay on CCU for a number of reasons including:
-Acute myocardial infarction, ACS - Heart failure
-Cardiogenic shock -Arrhythmia management
-Valvular heart disease -Cardiomyopathies
- Our Team:
The Cardiology Department has multinational cardiology specialists and consultants with a support team comprised of a clinic pharmacist, a physiotherapist, a clinical dietician and highly trained nurses.
Vascular services deal with the diagnosis, treatment and management of conditions affecting the health of the body’s circulation. Usually, this involves treating diseases of the arteries, veins and lymphatic vessels. The heart itself is managed by cardiology and cardiac surgery services.
Blood vessel disease within the skull is usually managed neurology or neurosurgery services.
Typical conditions that the vascular service will manage include:
- peripheral vascular disease - diseases resulting in poor circulation to the limbs or vital organs, frequently due to atherosclerosis (“furring-up”) of the arteries
- aneurysmal disease - diseases causing localised weaknesses in the walls of arteries resulting in formation of an aneurysm
- stroke prevention - prevention of stroke and mini-stroke, in patients where the arteries supplying the brain have become diseased
- venous disease - treatment of varicose veins and their associated conditions such as venous ulcer.
The vascular team is made up of vascular surgeons, anaesthetists, nursing staff, imaging staff, allied health professionals and administration staff.
Dr. Walid Assar
Specialities- Diagnosis, investigation and treatment of patients with all forms of heart disease.
- Coronary artery diesease, High blood pressure (Hypertension).
- Heart valve disease, Cardiomyopathies.